Friday, July 27, 2012

Uninvincible


I thought I was invincible, but it turned out that a mosquito bite could knock me down. Well, the doctors didn't really confirm it was Dengue and the Rapid Dengue test results are negative but all of the symptoms I experienced pointed to that pesky mosquito. 

I got sick for 7 days, 2 of which was spent within the four walls of a hospital. On the first day, my fever was so bad that I couldn't even get up without being too dizzy and fall down again. I even asked my father to fetch me in my apartment so I could eat and come home to our province so someone could take care of me. I went to the nearby Medicard Center on the second day and the doctor doesn't even believe that I was sick because my temperature became normal after the sponge bath. The CBC showed that my segmenters are above the normal count so the doctor advised me to take some Co-amoxiclav. The on and off flu went on for the next days. I went to a second doctor (now in Bulacan) on the third day, this doctor had me take the Rapid Dengue test and another set of CBC, platelet count. The Rapid Dengue test showed that I am negative of Dengue but the CBC showed my decreased platelet count from 204 to 187. That and other bad things about my hematocrit and blah. On the 4th day, I thought I was fully recovered but I still revisited my doctor as per everyone's advice. He saw the results of the previous test and advised me to be confined to the hospital. I refused because I feel ok (thinking I am invincible). This is probably one of the worst decisions in my life because right after I got home, the persistent high fever started. At this point I am starting to channel Morrie (from Tuesdays with Morrie) and I am already praying and telling Him that let his will be done on me. The second doctor had me take the Thypidot test and another CBC for the fifth day. I am negative of Typhoid but my platelet count became 133 which is below normal. Even if I refused (me still thinking I am invincible), my parents decided to get me admitted to a hospital. I checked in Meycauayan Doctors Hospital Suite Room B last July 21. The first time I was ever admitted to a medical facility. I stayed there for 2 days. After couple of more lab tests, my platelets are back to normal and my third doctor with an LV bag advised me that I could go home already. And that was my week long battle with this viral blood infection that hit me.

If the sickness doesn't kill me, the helplessness that the dextrose gives and the over thinking that boredom allows will. I never want to be hospitalized ever ever again. 

And as I always do, I learned a couple of things with this experience (from my over thinking in the hospital).
Life is short. We should always do what makes us happy. Enjoy life NOW.  
Stop saving too much for the future, I couldn't enjoy all those money when I am dead.
No matter how much you eat right and exercise, if it is your time, it is your time. 
We should learn to appreciate everything in our life.
Your family will always be there for you during the bad times, so you should celebrate with them during the good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment