Monday, October 5, 2015

Skytrex Adventure: Defying Limits



Every time I invite someone to go with me to Skytrex I usually get the question "What is Skytrex?", I would then describe it as an obstacle course in the trees but according to their website this is what Skytrex is about:
Skytrex Adventure provides the first of its kind in Malaysia, a tree to tree  ‘sky-trekking’ experience where you can fly, swing, glide and dangle on the various aerial obstacles suspended above the lush tropical Malaysian Rainforest.  Take up the challenge and pump up the adrenaline on our many circuits at the various parks in which we are located and experience the best and most exciting forest adventure in Malaysia. 
Skytrex Adventure has two parks, one in Shah Alam and the other is in Langkawi. I was supposed to visit their Langkawi park last June but for some reason I skipped it and it has been bugging my mind ever since. Fortunately, I was able to find like-minded crazy people to go with me a few months after.


(c) Skytrex Adventure

There are three circuits to choose from and because we are crazy we chose the extreme challenge even if its the first time for the most of us. 


Sky trekking is both a physical and mental challenge. Half-way into the circuit, I realized that I underestimated this activity. Being 22 meters above ground, walking on wires, moving from one swinging rope to the next and gliding on a zip-line on your own is not a walk in the park. Yes, on your own. You have to attach and detach from the wires all 
by yourself throughout the challenge. It requires stamina and a whole lot of courage.  

The monkey bar is the hardest challenge for me because I have weak upper body. However, I find the other obstacles that requires balancing quite easy. I am a bit delighted that my daily yoga and Pilates practice are paying off, not to mention my new found courage after my recent breakup.


I almost gave up on this part of the challenge but the other people also doing the extreme challenge circuit were cheering for me. #pakitanggilas :)


My favorite challenge because I find this unusually easy even if I know that it should be scary and tricky


Walking on wires. This part is also hard because the wires are spaced too wide from each other and so my 4 feet and 11 inches self had to tip toe in the lower wire to be able to reach the upper wire.

Swing swing from the tangles of my heart is crushed by a former love. Can you help me find a way to carry on again? - All American Rejects :P 

Another tricky challenge which requires coordination of the upper and lower body.

Tips and Tricks:

  1. Choose the early morning schedule. This place has more to offer than just the obstacle courses. It is in the forest of Taman Botani Negara and it is nice to walk or ride a bicycle around the park. We took the last schedule (2:30 PM) and we finished at about 6:00 PM so we went straight back home after finishing the circuit, we were not able to enjoy the place a bit more. 
  2. To be able to do the circuit in the morning, you have to book your ticket weeks before especially when you are going on weekends as the slots gets filled pretty quickly. The reason why we took the last circuit is because they are the only slots left for the Saturday schedule. 
  3. If you want good pictures of yourself while doing the challenge, position yourself to go after the person with the camera and not before him or her, or else the shots will just be focused on your butt. :P
  4. There are lockers and drink holders that are for rent here.
  5. This is not a walk in park. Only three of us were able to finish the whole circuit. The group in front of us quit half way. If you are not sure if you are fit enough, it is better to take the Big Thrill first. But if you want to test your limits, go for the Extreme Challenge.

Crazy people have the most fun. Most of us had fear of heights which we eventually overcame after a couple of zip lines/flying fox. Overall this was an amazing experience which I would definitely do again.



1 comment: